- Provide basic info about your chosen heritage site in danger, including both why the site has been designated as a World Heritage site and the factors endangering the site today. Summarize and link to current news articles, blogs, or scholarly writing about the site. Provide a short summary of the work in your own words.
- Examples of in-text citations:
- The ancient city of Angkor is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia (Hammer 2016:page number).
- According to Hammer (2016), this city had an impressive water-supply system that utilized engineering principles to bring enough water to the city to support the increasing population.
- You should include images in all sections. Images must be linked to their original source, using a link that will direct readers to that specific image, rather than a general article. For example, below is an image of the ancient city of Angkor, which was removed from the Endangered list in 2004.
- Discuss how the factors endangering the site (or similar factors as they existed in the past) have been studied by archaeologists. Note that this discussion is not limited to information about your chosen site. Scholarly articles and references should be included here.
- This section should include references to news articles, blog posts, or other media coverage of current events related to the site.
Insight into Global Issues
- Consider how archaeological research can provide insight to address contemporary global issues related to the cause(s) of your site’s endangerment, either at this site in particular or in other areas
- Once again, include appropriate links and references to support your discussion.
- In your text above, you should include links and reference information for all online sources used. All image content you use must be cited by including a link to its original source, as shown above. In addition, you must add a separate bibliography section using the format of the Society for American Archaeology, citing all scholarly sources and webpages you used.
Source for example in-text citations:
2016 The Lost City of Cambodia. The Smithsonian Magazine. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lost-city-cambodia-180958508/?no-ist, accessed November 9, 2016.
Below are some screen shots from the SAA style guide for how to cite. Also see the in-text citations in the background example.